N I Petrov
Research was carried out according the plan of research scientific works on 2019-2021 yy. FSBSI FRC BST RAS (No 0761-2019-0006)
Fleece and down quality of goats of the Orenburg down breed and their crosses
with breeder goats of the Don breed
N I Petrov
Federal Research Center for Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Orenburg, Russia)
Summary. The article presents the results of studies on the dynamics of live weight and down productivity of goats of Orenburg breed and crossbreeds with the Don breed. The aim of work was to obtain new experimental data on the indicators of down productivity improving goats of Orenburg breed. For the study, 3 groups of goats with 20 heads in each were formed: group I – purebred grey, II – purebred white, group III – crossbred of the 1st generation white Don×Orenburg white. Control rearing lasted from birth to 30 months of age. It was established that grey and white goats of Orenburg breed have an advantage in live weight during all periods of growth over cross-breed peers of group III. Peers of group II at all stages of live weight control are characterized by an intermediate severity of trait.
According to fleece and true length of down, goats of group III are superior to peers of groups II and I, but have a coarser down, which is in group I by 3.20 µm (P≤0.001), and in group II by 1.8 µm (P≤0,05) thinner than that of peers of group III.
Key words: grey goats, white goats, Orenburg breed, live weight, fineness, length, fleece, downy goat breeding.
- Alkov GV, Kraskova ZK. Methods for creating a type of Gorno-Altai goats with white down. (Conference proceedigs) Abstracts of the reports of the scientific-industrial conference Stavropol, 1981: 88-100.
- Almeev IA, Kalilov TK. Breed transformation of goat breeding in Kyrgyzstan. Sheep breeding. 1981;3:31-32.
- Almeev IA. Breeding white downy goats of a new type. (Conference proceedigs). Abstracts. Frunze, 1982; 166-169.
- Zaporozhtsev EB. Methods of typification and consolidation of a herd of white downy goats. Sheep breeding. 1982;11:23-24.
- Malinovich MI, Orekhov AA. Down goat farming. Moscow: Rosselkhozizdat; 1981. 127 p.
- Musalaev KhKh, Chagarov SU. Ways and methods of creating a herd of white downy goats of Dagestan. Breeding of sheep and goats. Wool Studies: Collection of scientific works VNIIOK. Stavropol, 1981: 19-24.
- Musalaev KhKh, Palaganova GA. The state and ways of improving goat breeding in Dagestan. Sheep, goats, woolen work. 2013;2:71-73.
- Petrov NI. A toolkit for creating a herd of white Orenburg downy goats, providing increased productivity and improved quality indicators of down. Orenburg: «Press» Agency»; 2016. 18 p.
- Petrov NI. Especially productive white Orenburg goats. Agrarian Reporter of South-East. 2018;1(18):36-39.
- The program «Down in Orenburg region for the period 1986-2000». Orenburg, 1987. 30 p.
- Martínez AM, Acosta J, Vega-Pla JV, Delgado JV. Analysis of the genetic structure of the canary goat populations using microsatellites. Livestock Science. 2006;102(1-2):140-145. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2005.12.002
- Olivier JJ, Cloete SWP, Schoeman SJ, Muller CJC. Performance testing and recording in meat and dairy goats. Small Rumin. Res. 2005;60(1-2):83-93. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.smallrumres.2005.06.022
- Pailhoux E, Vigier B, Schibler L, Cribiu EP, Cotinot C, Vaiman D. Positional cloning of the PIS mutation in goats and its impact on understanding mammalian sex-differentiation. Genet. Sel. Evol. 2005;37(Suppl 1):S55-S64. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1051/gse:2004025
- Sheridan R, Ferreira AV, Hoffman LC. Production efficiency of South African Mutton Merino lambc and Boer goat kids receiving either a low or a high energy feedlot diet. Small Ruminant Research. 2003;50(1-2):75-82. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00109-3
- Shrestha JNB, Fahmy MH. Breeding goats for meat production: a review 1. Genetic resources, management and breed evaluation. Small Ruminant Research. 2005;58(2):93-106. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00183-4
Petrov Nikolay Ivanovich, Cand. Sci (Agr.), Leading Researcher, Department for Beef Cattle Technology and Beef Production, Federal Research Center for Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460051, Orenburg, Russia, 27/1Gagarin Avenue, tel.: 8(3532)43-01-62, tel.: 8-932-858-34-09
Received: 13 August 2019; Accepted: 16 September 2019; Published: 30 September 2019