Boskhaev SL, Gerasimov NP, Zavyalov OA, Frolov AN
Improving the potential for weight growth of Kalmyk cattle by the method of two- and three-breed crosses with Hereford and Limousin breeds in the conditions of the Republic of Kalmykia
Sanal L Boskhaev, Nikolay P Gerasimov, Oleg A Zavyalov, Alexey N Frolov
Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Orenburg, Russia)
Summary. The studies were carried out on purebred bulls of the Kalmyk breed (group I), as well as a crosses ½ Limousine × ½ Kalmyk (group II) and ½ Limousine × ¼ Hereford × ¼ Kalmyk (group III). Animals of all groups were in the same feeding and keeping conditions. The diets were designed to receive an average daily increase of 900-1000 g/day. Weight growth of experimental bulls was studied by monthly weighing. Daily average and absolute gains, the relative rate of weight growth and the coefficients of increase in body weight were calculated. It was established that crossbred bulls of groups II and III exceeded their purebred peers in live weight at birth by 5.4 and 10.8% (P≤0.01), at 12 months – by 4.5 and 6.1 (P≤0.05), at 15 months - by 5.4 (P≤0.05) and 7.7% (P≤0.01), by the end of the experiment (18 months) – by 7.7 (P≤0.01) and 10.4 (P≤0.001)% respectively. At the same time, the effect of genotype on live weight variability varied within 4.61-40.96%, reaching a maximum by 18 months, with a minimum value by 8 months. There were not significant differences in the average daily gain of bulls for the period from birth till 8 months of age. In further, crossbred animals of II and III groups advanced over purebred animals in the period of 8-12 months by 8.9 (P≤0.01) and 10.8% (P≤0.001), 12-15 months – by 9.7 and 16.1% (P≤0.01) and in the period of 15-18 months by 25.5 (P≤0.001) and 32.1% (P≤0.001), respectively. The conclusion was made about the prospects for conducting the breeding work by crossing purebred Kalmyk cattle with Hereford and Limousine sires in the conditions of Kalmykia Republic.
Key words: beef cattle, Kalmyk breed, Limousine breed, Hereford breed, crossbreeding, live weight, average daily weight gain.
- Belkov GI, Dzhulamanov KM. To use the genetic potential of beef breeds to the maximum. Dairy and Beef Cattle Breeding. 1990;5:20-22.
- Gabidullin VM, Tarasov MV. The Russian Polled and Angus breed in Russia and method of their improvement. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2010;63(2):7-11.
- Dzulamanov KM, Dubovskova MP. Breeding resources of the Hereford cattle. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2012;3(77):21-26.
- Dorotuk EN, Kayumov FG. Kalmyk cattle and reserves of its beef productivity. Dairy and Beef Cattle Breeding. 1974;10:34-35. (In Russ)].
- Eremenko VK, Kayumov FG. Kalmyk cattle and methods for its improvement: monograph. Moscow: Bulletin of the Russian Academy of Agricultural Sciences; 2005: 385 p.
- Kharlamov AV, Muhametgaliev NN, Kharlamov VA, Zavialov OA. Use of ration nutrients and meat productivity bulls of different breeds while fattening on bardo. Kazan State Academy of Veterinary Medicine named after NE. Bauman. 2010;200:234-235.
- Kayumov FG, Dubovskova MP, Polovinko LM, Kalashnikov NA, Golembovsky VV, Kushch ED., Shtelmakh AI, Polyansky ND, Panasenko VD.Kalmyk cattle – important reserve for development of breeding resources in the Stavropol region. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2014;4(87):47-52.
- Karakulov АB, IrgashevТА. Weight gain of black spotted bulls and their crosses with holstein animals. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2013:4(82):36-40.
- Kayumov F, Volodina V, Davletyarov M. The effect of heterosis – increased beef productivity of crossbred cattle. Dairy and Beef Cattle Breeding. 2007;7:16-17.
- Kayumov FG, Maevskaya LA, Sidikhov TM. Efficiency of growing young cattle of Kalmytsk breed and its hybrids. Izvestia Orenburg State Agrarian University. 2012;2(34):102-103.(InRuss)].
- Kayumov FG, Kalashnikov NA, Polovinko LM. Assessmentofmeatqualityindicesandmorphologicalcharacteristicsofsteersofanewtype «Voznesenovsky» oftheKalmykcattle. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2016;3(95):76-79.
- Makaev ShA, Zhambulov MS. Selection by growth rate of Kazakh white-headed cattle. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2009;62(2):26-30.
- Makaev ShA, Fomin VN, Gontyurev VA. The results of half-century selection-breeding work with the Kazakh white-headed cattle of the Volga region. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2010;63(1):41-44.
- Natyrov AK, Surkova SA. Productive and breeding qualities of the traditional types of Kalmyk cattle in the conditions of arid territories of the South of Russia. Agrarian and Food Innovations. 2018;1(1):32-38.
- Nikonova EA, Kosilov VI, Kharlamov AV. Crossbreeding as a way to increase the meat quality of young animals. Niva Ural. 2017;6:27-28. (In Russ)].
- Kayumov F, Makaev Sh, Gabidulin V, Belousov A. New breed: Russian Hornless. Livestock of Russia.2008;6:51-52.
- Kayumov FG, Kudasheva AV, Kalashnikov NA, Sidikhov TM. Increase of meat productivity and quality of Kalmyk cattle by admixture of new blood. HeraldofBeefCattleBreeding. 2015;1(89):38-44.
- KayumovFG, GerasimovNP, ShevkhuzhevAF, BarinovVE, SangadzhievRD, Implementation of weight gain potential of the Kalmyk bulls and their crosses with Red Angus at different levels of feeding. Animal Husbandry and Fodder Production. 2018;101(1):18-26.
- Aduchiev BK, Kayumov FG, Barinov VE, Sangadzhiev RD. Growth and development of Kalmyk bulls and their crosses with Aberdeen Angus of American selection in the Republic of Kalmykia. HeraldofBeefCattleBreeding. 2017;2(98):58-64.
- Taiguzin RSh, Makaev ShA. The zones of Kazakh white-head cattle breeding in Russia. IzvestiaOrenburgStateAgrarianUniversity. 2015;6(56):125-127.
Boskhaev Sanal Leonidovich, external doctorate student of Beef Cattle Breeding Department, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel .: 8(3532)30-81-74
Gerasimov Nikolay Pavlovich, Cand. Sci. (Agr.), Senior Researcher, Beef Cattle Breeding Department, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8(3532)30-81-74, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zavyalov Oleg Alexandrovich, Cand. Sci. (Agr.), Senior Researcher, Department of Technology of Beef Cattle Breeding and Beef Production, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8(3532)30-81-78, e-mail: email@example.com
Frolov Alexey Nikolaevich, Cand. Sci. (Agr.), Senior Researcher, Department of Technology for Beef Cattle Breeding and Beef Production, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8(3532)30-81-78, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Received: 15 November 2019; Accepted: 16 December 2019;Published: 31 December 2019