Anatoly V Kharlamov, Elemes A Azhmuldinov
Comparative productivity assessment of the culled cows of various breeds, depending
on the methods of keeping and fattening time
Anatoly V Kharlamov, Elemes A Azhmuldinov
Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Orenburg, Russia)
Summary. The article provides data on a comparative assessment of beef productivity of culled cows of the Red Steppe, Simmental and Hereford breeds, depending on the method of keeping and fattening time. In our study, six groups of cows were formed, two of each breed, 15 cows in each group. The first three groups of animals, including the aforementioned breeds, were kept tied, the other three - loosely on the site. The duration of the feeding period for cows was 30, 60 and 90 days. The data obtained indicate that there is a uniform increase in live weight over the feeding periods, which slightly decreases by the end of feeding. In general, over 90 days of feeding, the live weight of cows kept indoors on a leash increased by 66.0-82.6 kg, and when fattening on a platform without a leash - by 55.0-61.1 kg or 11.0- 21.5 kg less. When kept indoors on a leash, the largest increase in live weight was observed in the Simmental cows. They advanced over their peers of the Red Steppe breed by 16.6 kg, the Hereford - by 8.6 kg. Feeding cows on the site, there was no significant difference in the increase in live weight among cows of different breeds. The best full weight carcasses and the greater accumulation of raw fat were observed when the cows were fattened indoors on a leash. So, after 90 days of fattening, the weight of the paired carcass was 240.1-305.5 kg, and in cows fed on the site - 228.8-276.0 kg, or 11.3-29.5 kg less. The carcass yield of cows on a leash was 50.1-53.3%, without a leash - 48.9-54.4%. The highest rates of carcass yield and slaughter yield were observed in cows of the Simmental and Hereford breeds.
Key words: cattle, cows, ranking and culling of cows, Red Steppe breed, Simmental breed, Hereford breed, fattening, live weight, carcass weight, carcass yield, slaughter yield.
- Amerkhanov KhA, Kayumov FG. Current state and prospects for the development of beef cattle breeding in Russia. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2008;61(1):3-9.
- Belomytsev ES. Ways to increase the production of beef in beef cattle breeding on the basis of improving technology in various natural and economic zones. dis. ... Dr. Agr. Sciences in the form of scientific. report. Orenburg; 1994:64 p.
- Giniyatullin ShSh, Mullayanov RR. Efficiency of culled cows fattening. Izvestia Orenburg State Agrarian University. 2009;1(21):64-66.
- Gorlov IF. Theoretical and practical foundations of adaptive resource-saving technologies for keeping cattle in the Lower Volga region: dis. ... Dr. Agr. Sciences in the form of scientific. report. Orenburg, 1996:53 p.
- Zaveryukha AKh, Belkov GI. Improving the efficiency of beef production. Moscow: Kolos; 1995:285 p.
- Zelepukhin AG, Levakhin VI. Improving the efficiency of beef production. Moscow: Bulletin of RAAS; 2002:232 p.
- Legoshin GP, Strekozov NI, Fedorova RP, Sidenko II. Heavy use of milk cattle for milk and meat production. Zootechniya. 2002;7:17-20.
- Legoshin GP. Complex evaluation of meat productivity, carcasses quality and beef from young bulls. Zootechniya. 2009;9:30-32.
- Kosilov VI, Zhukov SA, Yusupov RS. Productive qualities of young animals of the Bestuzhev breed and its crosses with Simmentals: monograph. Orenburg: Publishing house. center OSAU; 2004:232 p.
- Legoshin GP. Beef production system. International Agroindustrial Journal. 1991;2:82-84.
- Belova SI, Mysik AO, Fomichev YuP. et al. Guidelines for assessing meat productivity and meat quality of beef cattle. VASKHNIL. Moscow, 1990:86 p.
- Kalashnikov AP, et al. Standards and diets of farm animals: Ref. book. 3rd ed., rework. and add. Moscow: Agropromizdat; 2003:456 p.
- Plokhinsky NA. Guide for livestock biometrics for zootechnicians. Moscow: Kolos; 1969:256 p.
- Levakhin VI, Cherekaev AV, Zaveryukha AKh, Chernikov VA et al. Program for the development of beef cattle breeding in the Russian Federation until 2005. Moscow: RAAS; 1994:45 p.
- Kosilov VI, Mironenko SI, Salikhov AA, Litvinov KS. Rational use of genetic resources of red steppe cattle for beef production in purebred breeding and crossbreeding: monograph. Moscow: Bely Bereg; 2010:452 p.
- Cherekaev AV. Fattening of culled adult cows. Zootekhniya. 1988;11:44-46.
- Bazzoli I, De Marchi M, Ceccinato A et al. Factors associated with age at slaughter and carcass weight, price, and value of dairy cull cows. Journal of Dairy Science. 2014;97(2): 1082-1091. doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2013-6578
- Moreno T, Botana A, Bispo E, L. González L, García C, Mesas J. High-energy forage feeding diets and body condition on the finishing of cull dairy cows. Animal. 2012;6(10):1634-1641. doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1751731112000171
Kharlamov Anatoly Vasilyevich, Dr. Sci. (Agr.), Professor, Chief Researcher, Department of Technology for Beef Cattle Breeding and Beef Production, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8(3532)30-81-78, e-mail: email@example.com
Azhmuldinov Elemes Azhmuldinovich, Dr. Sci (Agr.), Professor, Chief Researcher, Department of Technology of Beef Cattle Breeding and Beef Production, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8(3532)30-81-78
Received: 17 May 2021; Accepted: 15 June 2021; Published: 30 June 2021Download