Leyla Z Sultanaeva, Yury A Baldzhi
Financial support for this work is carried out by the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan (project number - AP08051983 "Development and introduction into production of multifunctional feed additives to increase the productivity of animals with an assessment of the quality and safety of livestock products").
The efficiency of the use of phytobiotic additives in the diet of large and small cattle (review)
Leyla Z Sultanaeva, Yury A Baldzhi
Kazakh Agrotechnical University named after S. Seifullin (Nur-Sultan)
Summary. Today, antibiotic resistance is a serious threat to human health and food security, that is, once effective antibiotics cease to perform their function. The antibiotics that used to kill pathogenic micro-organisms nowadays do not work as before, which leads to the fact that the disease passes into a complicated form and, accordingly, the treatment becomes difficult. More than half of all antibiotics produced on the planet are used in agriculture. Despite the prohibitions, there are instances of the use of these drugs not so much for treatment, but for the prevention of diseases in order to quickly increase productivity. Therefore, in some countries, there is a need to change the order of prescribing and using antibiotics. One of the proposed alternatives is phytobiotic feed additives. The article considers the role of phytobiotic feed additives in the diet of ruminants: large and small cattle. A review of scientific studies conducted in different countries over the past 19 years suggests that plant-based feed additives have a positive effect on feed consumption. They also have a beneficial effect on the intestinal microbiota, and on the quality indicators of animal products.
Key words: ruminants, аnimal feeding, productivity, food quality, feed additives, antibiotics, phytobiotics.
- Cherkashina NV, Drozdova LI, Makhortov VL, Vasilev PG, Sherbakov MG, Demina LV, Ilyazov AA, Sirik MS. Analysis of the current state of the problem of use of antibiotics as feed additive. Agrarian Bulletin of the Urals. 2011;3(82):39-42.
- Bajguzhina DSh, Baldzhi YuA. Influence of feed additives on milk quality and safety (Conference proceedings) Science and education in the modern world: the challenges of the 21st century: materials of the VI International Scientific and Practical Conference Section 5. Agricultural sciences. Nur-Sultan; 2020;17-21 p.
- Lefler TF, Murzina TV, Kirienko NN, Turitsyna EG, Rabimov AI. The influence of coniferous and energy supplements on the cows’ milk productivity. Vestnik KrasGAU. 2020;11(164):114-121. doi: 10.36718/1819-4036-2020-11-114-121
- Ivanov EA, Tereshchenko VA, Ivanova OV. Natural feed additives for feeding lactation cows. Dairy and Beef Cattle Farming. 2019;6:38-42.
- Isaeva EV, Lozhkina GA, Ryazanova TV. Research of an alcoholic extract of poplar balsam nephroses. Chemistry of Plant Raw Material. 2009:1:83-88.
- Duskaev GK, Levakhin GI, Korolyov VL, Sirazetdinov FKh. Use of probiotics and plant extracts to improve the productivity of ruminants (review). Animal Husbandry and Fodder Production. 2019;102(1):136-142. doi: 10.33284/2658-3135-102-1-136
- Kirgintsev BO, Belenkaya AE, Yarmots GA. Use of needles in feeding of farm animals (Conference proceedings) Integration of science and practice for the development of the agro-industrial complex: a collection of articles of the Russian scientific conference (Tyumen, November 10, 2017). Tyumen; 2017; 229-234.
- Kondrashova KS, Kosyan DB, Atlanderova KN. Effect of oak bark extract (Quercus cortex) and a complex of substances inhibitors Quorum sensing on metabolic processes occurring in the gastrointestinal tract of cattle. Animal Husbandry and Fodder Production. 2020;103(4):128-138. doi: 10.33284/2658-3135-103-4-128
- Kulikov NV. Successful European experience of abandoning fodder antibiotics in poultry [Internet]. Available by: http://webmvc.com/vet-articles/birds/aviculture/opyt-otkaza-ot-kormovykh-antibiotikov.php (cited 2021 April 23).
- Lozhkina GA, Isaeva EV, Ryazanova TV. Influence of various factors on the process of extraction of balsamic poplar kidneys. Chemistry of plant raw materials. 2007;2:51-54.
- Madyshev ISh, Faizrahmanov RN, Kamaldinov IN. Efficiency of feed additives in animals. Scientific Notes Kazan Bauman State Academy Of Veterinary Medicine. 2017;232(4):105-108.
- Podolnikov VE, Gamko LN, Spravtseva TI. The effect of fodder additive "Valopro" in the diet of cows on their milk yield and quality Vestnik of the Bryansk State Agricultural Academy. 2019;1(71):51-56.
- Ponomarev AN, Semenov SN, Sheremetova SG. Feed phytosupplements for improving milk quality. Dairy Industry. 2007;7:27.
- Baldzhi YuA, Sheiko YuN, Polyakov VV, Seydenova SP. Resourse-saving feed additives for beef cattle. Herald of Beef Cattle Breeding. 2016;2(94):59-63.
- Savina IP. Assessment of microbiological safety and properties of milk for production of cheese оf cows Simmental breed. Agricultural Bulletin of Stavropol Region. 2015;2(18):140-144.
- Saleeva IP. The effectiveness of the domestic feed additive GidroLaktiV. Poultry Farming. 2010;7:21-22.
- Sokolova ON, Laptev GYu, Soldatova VV, Ilyina LA, Yildirim EA, Kozlova YuA. Sorbent phytobiotic Zaslon Fito in the diets of milking cows. Scientific support for the development of agro-industrial complex in conditions of import substitution: a collection of scientific. St. Petersburg; 2018;1:252-256.
- Ulrih EV, Latysheva DA. History and modern state of production of phythobyothic fodder additives in the world (Conference proceedings) Climat, ecology, Eurasia Agriculture: Materials of the Seventh International Scientific and Practical Conference (Irkutsk, 24-26 maya 2018 g.). Irkutsk; 2018:125-136.
- Korotkiy VP, Ryznov VA, Bogolyubova NV, Kononenko SI, Yurina NA. Fitobiotik for improvement of health and increases of efficiency of cows. Collection of Scientific works KNTsZV. Krasnodar; 2019;8(2):197-202. doi: 10.34617/yr6f-kk30
- Sorbent phytobiotic Zaslon Fito in the diets of milking cows/O.N. Sokolova, G.Yu. Laptev, V.V. Soldatova, L.A. Ilyina, E.A. Yildirim, Yu.A. Kozlova// Scientific support for the development of agro-industrial complex in conditions of import substitution: a collection of scientific St. Petersburg, 2018. Part 1. Page 252-256
- Ulrih EV, Latysheva DA. History and modern state of production of phythobyothic fodder additives in the world (Conference proceedings) Climat, ecology, Eurasia Agriculture: Materials of the Seventh International Scientific and Practical Conference (Irkutsk,24-26 maya 2018 g.)Irkutsk;2018:125-136.
- KorotkiyVP, RyznovVA, BogolyubovaNV, KononenkoSI, YurinaNA. Fitobiotik for improvement of health and increases of efficiency of cows. Sbornik nauchnykh trudov KNTsZV. Krasnodar; 2019;8(2):197-202. doi: 10.34617/yr6f-kk30
- Adekenov SM, Baysarov GM, Khabarov IA, Polyakov VV. Flavonoids of Populus balsamifera L. Buds and methods for their isolation. Chemistry of Plant Raw Material. 2020;2:181-188. doi: 10.14258/jcprm.2020027602
- Buyarov VS, Chervonova IV, Mednova VV, Ilyicheva IN. Efficiency of application of phytobiotics in poultry farming (review). Bulletin of Agrarian Science. 2020;3(84):44-52. doi: 10.17238/issn2587-666X.2020.3.44
- Agyare C, Boamah VE, Zumbi CN, Osei FB. Antibiotic use in poultry production and its effects on bacterial resistance. Kumar Y, editor. Antimicrobial Resistance: A Global Threat. United Kingdom, London: IntechOpen Limited; 2018;1-19. doi: 10.5772/intechopen.79371
- Al-Sagheer A, Mahmoud HK, Reda FM, Mahgoub SA, Ayyat MS. Supplementation of diets for Oreochromis niloticus with essential oil extracts from lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus) and geranium (Pelargonium graveolens) and effects on growth, intestinal microbiota, antioxidant and immune activities. Aquaculture Nutrition. 2017;24(3):1006-1014. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/anu.12637
- Alscher RG. Biosynthesis and antioxidant function of glutathione in plants. Physiologia Plantarum. 1989;77(3):457-464. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1399-3054.1989.tb05667.x
- Atlanderova KN, Makaeva AM, Sizova EA, Duskaev GK. Stimulation of ruminal digestion of young cattle with oak bark extract (Quercus cortex). IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science: Conference on Innovations in Agricultural and Rural development; 2019 Apr 18-19; Kurgan, Russian Federation. Bristol, England: IOP Publishing; 2019;341:012059. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/341/1/012059
- Burnham JP, Olsen MA, Kollef MH. Re-estimating annual deaths due to multidrug-resistant organism infections. Infect Control Hosp. Epidemiol. 2019;40(1):112-113. doi: 10.1017/ice.2018.304
- Castanon JIR. History of the use of antibiotic as growth promoters in european poultry feeds. Poultry Science. 2007;86(11):2466-2471. doi: https://doi.org/10.3382/ps.2007-00249
- Costa LB, Luciano FB, Miyada VS, Gois FD. Review article: Herbal extracts and organic acids as natural feed additives in pig diets. South African Journal of Animal Science. 2013;43(2):181-193. doi: 10.4314/sajas.v43i2.9
- Drannikov AV, Derkanosova AA, Korotaeva AA, Orinicheva AA, Iskusnykh AYu, Litvinov EV. Phytobiotics as an alternative to antibiotics in feeding farm birds. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. International Conference on Production and Processing of Agricultural Raw Materials 26-29 February 2020, Voronezh, Russian Federation. 2021; 640(3):032061. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/640/3/032061
- Dringen R. Metabolism and functions of glutathione in brain. Progress in Neurobiology. 2000;62(6): 649-671. doi: 10.1016/s0301-0082(99)00060-x
- Favaretto JA, Alba DF, Marchiori MS, Marcon HJ, Souza CF, Baldissera MD, Bianchi AE, Zanluchi M, Klein B, Wagner R, Vedovatto M, Da Silva AS. Supplementation with a blend based on micro-encapsulated carvacrol, thymol, and cinnamaldehyde in lambs feed inhibits immune cells and improves growth performance. Livestock Science. 2020;240:104144. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2020.104144
- Ghosh S, LaPara TM. The effects of subtherapeutic antibiotic use in farm animals on the proliferation and persistence of antibiotic resistance among soil bacteria. The ISME Journal. 2007;1:191-203. doi: 10.1038/ismej.2007.31
- Gopi M. Essential oils as a feed additive in poultry nutrition. Advances in Animal and Veterinary Sciences. 2014;2(1):1-7. doi: 10.14737/journal.aavs/2014.2.1.1.7
- Guimarães LGL, das Graças Cardoso M, Souza PE, de Andrade J, Vieira SS. Antioxidant and fungitoxic activities of the lemongrass essential oil and citral. Revista Ciencia Agronomica. 2011;42(2):464-472. doi: 10.1590/S1806-66902011000200028
- Hashemi SR, Davoodi H. Herbal plants and their derivatives as growth and health promoters in animal nutrition. Veterinary Research Communications. 2011;35(3):169-180.
- Hodek P, Trefil P, Stiborová M. Flavonoids-potent and versatile biologically active compounds interacting with cytochromes P450. Chemico-Biological Interactions. 2002;139(1):1-21. doi: 10.1016/s0009-2797(01)00285-x
- Kholif AE, Matloup OH, Morsy TA, Abdo MM, Abu Elella AA, Anele UY, Swanson KC. Rosemary and lemongrass herbs as phytogenic feed additives to improve efficient feed utilization, manipulate rumen fermentation and elevate milk production of Damascus goats. Livestock Science. 2017;204:39-46. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.livsci.2017.08.001
- Kiczorowska B, Samolińska W, Al-Yasiry A, Kiczorowski P, Winiarska-Mieczan A. The natural feed additives as immunostimulants in monogastric animal nutrition – a review. Annals of Animal Science. 2017;17(3):605-625. doi: 10.1515/aoas-2016-0076
- Kirchhelle C. Pharming animals: a global history of antibiotics in food production (1935-2017). Palgrave Communications. 2018;4(1):96. doi: 10.1057/s41599-018-0152-2
- Kulakova TS, Tretyakov EA, Fomina LL, Zakrepina EN, Zhuravlyova SG. Effects of adsorbent and phytobiotic on density of rumen infusoria and cow milk production. Russian Agricultural Sciences. 2019;45(2):194-196. doi: https://doi.org/10.3103/S1068367419020137
- Lertsatitthanakorn P, Taweechaisupapong S, Aromdee C, Khunkitti W. In vitro bioactivities of essential oils used for acne control. International Journal of Aromatherapy. 2006;16(1):43-49. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijat.2006.01.006
- Manvitha K., Bidya B. Review on pharmacological activity of Cymbopogon citratus. International Journal of Herbal Medicine. 2014;1(6):5-7.
- Moreno S, Scheyer T, Romano CS, Vojnov AA. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of rosemary extracts linked to their polyphenol composition. Free Radical Research. 2006;40(2):223-231. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10715760500473834
- Pandey AK, Kumar P, Saxena MJ. Feed Additives in Animal Health. Gupta RC, Srivastava A, Lall R, editors. Nutraceuticals in Veterinary Medicine. 2019:345-362. Springer, Cham: Springer Nature Switzerland AG. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-04624-8_23
- Pashtetsky V, Ostapchuk P, Kuevda T, Zubochenko D, Yemelianov S, Uppe V. Use of phytobiotics in animal husbandry and poultry. Shamtsyan M and Ignateva S, editors. E3S Web of Conferences: International Scientific Conference on Biotechnology and Food Technology (BFT-2020); 2020 Oct 27-29; Saint Petersburg, Russia. Les Ulis, France: EDP Science; 2020;215:02002. doi: https://doi.org/10.1051/e3sconf/202021502002
- Saparova EI, Zubova TV. The effectiveness of phytobiotic additives in the diet of sheep. Pasetti M, Murgul V, editors. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science: XII International Scientific Conference on Agricultural Machinery Industry; 2019 Sep 10-13; Don State Technical University, Russian Federation. Bristol, England: IOP Publishing; 2019;403:012034. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/403/1/012034
- Singh J, Gaikwad DS. Phytogenic feed additives in animal nutrition. Singh J, Yadav AN, editors. Natural bioactive products in sustainable agriculture. Springer, Singapore: Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd; 2020. p. 273-289. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-15-3024-1_13
- Stivanin SCB, Vizzotto EF, de Paris M, Zanela MB, Passos LT, Angelo IDV et al. Addition of oregano or green tea extracts into the diet for Jersey cows in transition period. Feeding and social behavior, intake and health status. Plant extracts for cows in the transition period. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 2019;257:114265. doi: 10.1016/j.anifeedsci.2019.114265
- Tapki I, Ozalpaydin HВ, Тapki N, Aslan M, Selvi MH. Effects of oregano essential oil on reduction of weaning age and increasing economic efficiency in Holstein Friesian calves. Pakistan Journal of Zoology. 2020;52(2):745-752 doi: https://dx.doi.org/10.17582/journal.pjz/20180606130639
- Wierup M. The Swedish experience of the 1986 year ban of antimicrobial growth promoters, with special reference to animal health, disease prevention, productivity, and usage of antimicrobials. Microbial Drug Resistance. 2004;7(2):183-190. doi: 10.1089/10766290152045066
Sultanaeva Leyla Zinurovna, undergraduate, Junior Researcher in the Project "Development and application of multifunctional feed additives to increase animal productivity with an assessment of quality and safety of livestock products", Kazakh Agrotechnical University named after S. Seifullin, Nur-Sultan city, International, 2B Armandastar St., 010000, Kazakhstan, cell.: 8-777-889-24-11, e-mail: Leila1997_97@mail.ru
Baldzhi Yury Alexandrovich, Cand. Sci. (Vet.), Associate Professor of the Department of Veterinary Sanitation, project manager "Development and application of multifunctional feed additives to increase animal productivity with an assessment of quality and safety of livestock products", Nur-Sultan city, International, 2B Armandastar St., 010000, Kazakhstan, cell.: 8-701-979-67-98, e-mail: email@example.com
Received: 13 May 2021; Accepted: 15 June 2021; Published: 30 June 2021Download