The effect of ingredient composition of diets on exocrine pancreatic function of ruminants (review)
The work is funded by the Ministry of Science and Education of the Russian Federation to carry out fundamental scientific research determined by the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Agreement No. 075-02-2019-1847).
The effect of ingredient composition of diets on exocrine pancreatic function of ruminants (review)
Svyatoslav V Lebedev, Elena V Sheyda, Irina A Vershinina
Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Orenburg, Russia)
Summary. The review of literature on the adaptation of digestive system of cattle to a change in ingredient composition of feed through a change in the exocrine function of the pancreas is presented. The pancreas plays a central role in digestion and subsequent metabolism of nutrients. The activity of pancreatic enzymes directly or indirectly contributes to the stimulation of all digestive processes in the gastrointestinal tract. However, due to the unique characteristics of the digestive system of ruminants, changes in the diet composition and the consumption of nutrients lead to sharp fluctuations in the processes of fermentation in the rumen. Optimizing nutritional management requires an understanding of how these changes affect digestion and metabolism in general. The review reflects some data describing the effect of changes in the intake of proteins, lipids and carbohydrates on the adaptation of the pancreas in ruminants. The activity of cattle pancreas enzymes changed in response to the introduction of different feed compositions, shown to increase or decrease pancreatic secretion, the dynamics of amylolytic, proteolytic and lipolytic activities. Phase regulation of pancreatic secretion, expressed in the undulation of the secretion of the pancreas, has been established.
Key words: cattle, ruminant mammals, pancreas, enzymatic function, amylase, proteases, lipase.
- BatoevTsZh. Adaptation of pancreatic enzymes during the digestion of food of animal and vegetable origin. The Buryat State University Bulletin. Biology, geography. 2018;2:70-74. doi: 10.18101/2587-7143-2018-2-70-75
- Batoev TsZh. Adaptation of pancreatic enzymes during the digestion of food of animal and vegetable origin. (Conferense proseedings) Achievements and problems of modern science: international materials of scientific-practical conf. St. Petersburg: Scientific journal ” Globus ”. 2016. P. 40-44.
- Batoev TsZh, Bashanova M A, Koturai IA. The enzymatic activity of cattle pancreatic tissue homogenate and its adaptation. The Buryat State University Bulletin. 2012а;4:190-192. (In Russ)].
- Batoev TsZh, Sanzhieva SE. The digestive function of animals pancreas and its adaptation to the quality of specific foot. The Buryat State University Bulletin. 2012b;Special issue B:268-272. (In Russ)].
- Lebedev SV, Sheyda EV, Vershinina IA, Gubaidullina IZ, Miroshnikov IS, Ryazanov VA, Makaeva AM, Markova IV, Ushakov AS. The influence of various sources of fat in the diet on digestibility and activity of digestive enzymes of calves. Animal Husbandry and Fodder Production. 2019;102(4):198-207 doi: 10.33284/2658-3135-102-4-198
- Lebedev SV, Levakhin GI, Gubaidullina IZ, Markova IV, Sheida EV. Effect of different protein sources in the ration on nutrients assimilation in the digestive tract of animals. Izvestia Orenburg State Agrarian University. 2018;6(74):205-208.
- Hubergrits NB. Possibilities of laboratory diagnosis of pancreatic diseases. Experimental and Clinical gastroenterology. 2008;7:93-101.
- Hubergrits NB. Pancreatitis treatment. Enzyme preparations in gastroenterology. Moscow: Medpraktika; 2003.100 p.
- Degtyarev VP. Age and species characteristics of the activity of digestive enzymes in ruminants: Abstract. dis. … Dr. Biol. sciences. Moscow, 1974; 36 p.
- Zherebtsov PI, Serykh MM. New data on the external secretion of the pancreas in calves during the period of feeding with milk and the transition to plant foods. Reports of TSHA. Zootechnics. 1965;110:309-312.
- Zakharova IN, Korovina NA, Malova NE. Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. Questions of Modern Pediatrics. 2003;2(5):2-8.
- Kalunyants KA, Ezdakov NV, Zavarzhin VI. Enzymes in animal husbandry. Voronezh, 1974: 55 p.
- Korotko GF. Digestive enzyme recycling. Krasnodar: EDVI; 2011: 144 p.
- Korotko GF. Formation of enzyme component of digestive gland (review). Physical Culture, Sport – Science and Practice. 2013;1:51-57.
- Kostina TE. On the role of sympathetic innervation in the humoral phase of pancreatic secretion. Physiological Journal of the USSR. 1958; 44(2):159-163.
- Koturai IA. The digestive function of the sheep pancreas and its adaptation. The Buryat State University Bulletin. Biologiya, geografiya. 2012;4:192-194.
- Kalashnikov AP, et al. Standards and diets of farm animals: Ref. book. 3rd ed., rework. and add. Moscow: Agropromizdat; 2003: 456 p.
- Sizova EA, Miroshnikov SA, Lebedev SV, Kudasheva AV, Ryabov NI. To the Development of Innovative Mineral Additives Based on Alloy of Fe and Co Antagonists as an Example. Sel’skokhozyaistvennaya biologiya [Agricultural Biology]. 2016;51(4):553-562. doi: 10.15389/agrobiology.2016.4.553eng
- Lebedev SV, Gubaidullina EZ, Sheida EV, Grechkina VV. Exchange (uptake and synthesis) of amino acids in the digestive tract of cattle when used in diet different ingredient composition of the feed. The Agrarian Scientific Journal. 2019;4:54-57. doi: https://doi.org/10.28983/asj.y2019i4pp54-57
- Popov NF. The work of the pancreas in calves with various feeds. Physiological Journal of the USSR. 1934;27(1):1-10.
- Sizova EA, Miroshnikov SA, Lebedev SV, Levakhin YI, Babicheva IA, Kosilov VI. Comparative Tests of Various Sources of Microelements in Feeding Chicken-Broilers. Sel’skokhozyaistvennaya biologiya [Agricultural Biology]. 2018;53(2):393-403. doi: 10.15389/agrobiology.2018.2.393eng
- Batoev TsZh, Ayurzanaeva MV, Sanzhieva SE, Sodboeva OV, Banieva RP. Ekzokrinnaya funktsiya podzheludochnoi zhelezy ptits i mlekopitayushchikh. The Buryat State University Bulletin 2004; 6:85-88.
- Beretta C, Ormas P, Belloli C, Invernizzi A, Faustini R. Effects of caerulein on exocrine pancreatic secretion in sheep. J Vet Pharmacol Therap. 1981;4(3):219-224. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2885.1981.tb00733.x
- Brannon P M. Adaptation of the exocrine pancreas to diet. Annu Rev Nutr. 1990;10:85-105. doi: https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev.nu.10.070190.000505
- Brannon PM, Collins VP, Korc M. Alterations of pancreatic digestive enzyme content in the manganese-deficient rat. J Nutr. 1987;117(2):305-311
- Call JL, Mitchell GE., Jr, Little CO. Response of ovine pancreatic amylase to elevated blood glucose. J Anim Sci. 1975;41(6):1717-1721. doi: https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1975.4161717x
- Chang SC, Brannon PM, Korc M. Effects of dietary manganese deficiency on rat pancreatic amylase mRNA levels. J Nutr 1990;120(10):1228-1234. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/120.10.1228
- Chittenden LW, Johnson DD, Mitchell GE Jr, Tucker RE. Ovine pancreatic amylase response to form of carbohydrate. Nutr Rep Int. 1984;29:1051-1060.
- Clary JJ, Mitchell GE, Jr, Little CO, Bradley NW. Pancreatic amylase activity from ruminants fed different rations. Can J Physiol Pharmacol. 1969;47:161-164.
- Dagorn JC and Giorgi D. Pancreatic adaptation to diet – Regulation of specifk enzyme synthesis. In: Morissetand J, Solomon TE, editors. Growth of the Gastrointestinal Tract: Gastrointestinal Hormones and Growth Factors. CRC Press, Inc. Boca Raton, FL. 1991:89.
- Fell BF, Farmer LJ, Farqueharson C, Bremner I, Graca DS. Observations on the pancreas of cattle deficientin in copper. J Comp Path. 1985;95:573-590.
- Harada E, Katoh S. Effect of short-chain fatty acids on the secretory response of the ovine exocrine pancreas. Am J. Physiol. 1983;244(3):G284-290. doi: https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpgi.1983.244.3.G284
- Harada E, Niiyama M, Syuto B. Hepatic bile and pancreatic exocrine secretions evoked by gastrointestinal peptides in sheep. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Physiology. 1986;85(4):729-734. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(86)90285-9
- Huntington GB, Prior RL. Digestion and absorption of nutrients by beef heifers fed a high concentrate diet. J Nutr. 1983;113(11):2280-2288. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/113.11.2280
- Janes AN, Weekes TEC, Armstrong DG. Carbohydrase activity in the pancreatic tissue and small intestine mucosa of sheep fed dried-grass or ground maizebased diets J Agric Sci. (Camb.). 1985;104:435-443.
- Johnson A, Hurwitz R, Kretchmer N. Adaptation of rat pancreatic amylase and chymotrypsinogen to changes in diet. J Nutr. 1977;107(1):87-96. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/107.1.87
- Johnson DD, Mitchell GE, Tucker RE, Muntifering RB. Pancreatic amylase, plasma glucose, and insulin responses to propionate or monensin in sheep. J Dairy Sci. 1986;69(1):52-57. doi: https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.S0022-0302(86)80369-1
- Katoh K, Tsuda T. Effects of acetylcholine and short-chain fatty acids on acinar cells of the exocrine pancreas in sheep. J Physiol. 1984; 356:479-489. doi: https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1984.sp015478
- Katoh K, Tsuda T. Effects of intravenous injection of butyrate on the exocrine pancreatic secretion in guinea pigs. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. A Comp Physiol. 1987;87(3):569-572. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/0300-9629(87)90362-8
- Katoh K, Yajima T. Effects of butyric acid and analogues on amylase release from pancreatic segments of sheep and goats. Pflugers Arch. 1989;413(3):256-560. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00583538
- Khorasani GR, Sauer WC, Ozimek L, Kennelly JJ. Digestion of soybean meal and canola meal protein and amino acids in the digestive tract of young ruminants. J Anim Sci. 1990;68(10):3421-3428. doi: https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.68103421x
- Kreikemeier KK, Harmon DL, Brandt RT, Nagaraja TG, Cochran RC. Steam-rolled wheat diets for finishing cattle: Effects of dietary roughage and feed intake on finishing steer performance and ruminal metabolism. J Anim Sci. 1990; 68(7):2130-2141. doi: https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6872130x
- Kreikemeier KK, Harmon DL, Peters JP, Gross KL, Armendariz CK, Krehbiel CR. Influence of dietary forage and feed intake on carbohydrase activities and small intestinal morphology of calves. J Anim Sci. 1990.68(9):2916-2929. doi: https://doi.org/10.2527/1990.6892916x
- Lahaie RG. Dietary regulation of protein synthesis in the exocrine pancreas. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1984;3(l):43-50. doi: 10.1097/00005176-198400031-00009
- Lebedev SV, Gavrish IA, Shejda EV, Miroshnikov IS, Ryazanov VA, Gubajdullina IZ, Makaeva AM. Effect of various fats on digestibility of nutrients in diet of сalves. Conference on Innovations in Agricultural and Rural development IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science; 2019, Apr 18-19; Kurgan, Russian Federation, 2019в. United Kingdom: IOP Publishing Ltd; 2019а;341:012066. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/341/1/012066
- Lebedev SV, Kvan OV, Vertiprakhov VG, Gavrish IA, Gubaidullina IZ. Effects of chromium ultrafine particles on the pancreas enzyme system of calves. Conference on Innovations in Agricultural and Rural development IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science; 2019, Apr 18-19; Kurgan, Russian Federation, 2019. United Kingdom: IOP Publishing Ltd; 2019b;341:012151. doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/341/1/012151
- Lebedev SV, Sheida EV, Vertiprakhov VG, Gavrish IA, Kvan OV, Gubaidullina IZ, Ryazanov VA, Miroshnikov IS. A study of the exocrinous function of the cattle pancreas after the introduction of feed with a various protein source in rations. Bioscience Research. 2019c;16(3):2553-2562.
- Magee DF. Investigation into the external secretion of the pancreas in sheep. J Physiol. 1961;158(1):132-143. doi: https://doi.org/10.1113/jphysiol.1961.sp006759
- Mostaghni K. Exocrine pancreatic secretion in conscious sheep. Zentralbl. Veterinaermed. Reihe A. 1979;26(6):458-463. doi:https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0442.1979.tb01618.x
- NRC. Ruminant Nitrogen Usage. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. 1985:148 p.
- Ohbo M, Katoh K, Sasaki Y. Effects of short-, medium- and long-chain fatty acids on amylase release from pancreatic segments of rats. Asian-Australasian J Anim Sci. 1989;2:193-194.
- Owens FN, Bergen WG. Nitrogen metabolism of ruminant animals: Historical perspective, current understanding and future implications. J Anim Sci. 1983;57(2):498-518.
- Pierzynowski SG. The effect of fasting and subsequent long-term intraduodenal glucose infusion on the exocrine pancreas secretion in cattle. J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr. 1990;63(1-5):198-203. doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0396.1990.tb00135.x
- Pierzynowski SG. The secretion of pancreatic juice I sheep in different fed treatments. Pol Arch Weter. 1986;26(3-4):31-39.
- Russell JR, Young AW, Jorgensen NA. Effect dietary corn starch intake on pancreatic amylase and intestinal maltase and pH in cattle. J Anim Sci. 1981; 52(5):1177-1782. doi: https://doi.org/10.2527/jas1981.5251177x
- Schmidt SP, Keith RK. Effects of diet and energy intake on kinetics of glucose metabolism in steers. J Nutr. 1983;113(11):2155-2163. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/113.11.2155
- Smith B L, Embling PP. Effect of oral doses of zinc oxide on the secretion of pancreatic juice and bile in sheep. Res Vet Sci. 1984; 37(1):58-62.
- Snook JT, Meyer JH. Response of digestive enzymes to dietary protein. J Nutr. 1964;82(4):409-414. doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jn/82.4.409
- Taylor RB. Pancreatic secretion in sheep. Res Vet Sci. 1962.3(1):63-77. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0034-5288(18)34929-4
- Ulbrich M, Hoffman M, Hakim NFA. Investigation of the activity of pancreas lipase in growing sheep. Arch Tierernbhr. 1981;31:171.
- Van Hellen RW. Pancreatic amylase response to high and low concentrate in the growing bovine. Ph.D. Dissertation. Univ. of Kentucky, Lexington. 1979.
Lebedev Svyatoslav Valerevich, Dr. Sci. (Biol.), Leading Researcher, Laboratory for Biological Testing and Expertises Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8-912-345-87-38, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sheyda Elena Vladimirovna, Cand. Sci (Biol.), Researcher, Laboratory for Biological Testing and Expertises, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., tel.: 8-987-862-64-05, e-mail: email@example.com
Vershinina Irina Aleksandrovna, Junior Research, Laboratory for Biological Testing and Expertises, Federal Research Centre of Biological Systems and Agrotechnologies of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 460000, Orenburg, Russia, 29, 9 Yanvarya St., 460000, е-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel.: 8-987-798-67-88
Received: 4 March 2020; Accepted: 16 March 2020; Published: 31 March 2020